Friday, June 30, 2023

Get to Know PPA Pro Jessie Irvine!


0:01 What do you love most about Pickleball? 0:39 How do you feel about the diversity in the sport of Pickleball? 1:34 What are your goals for 2023? 2:37 What is something people may not know about you? 3:12 What is the hardest thing to learn about Pickleball? "I am the machine!" 4:49 What advice could you give to someone that wants to go pro? "Watch video" 5:48 What is your skincare regimen?

Interviewer: Today we have the pleasure of speaking with a passionate pickleball player. Can you tell us what you love most about pickleball?

Jessie: Well, what I love most about pickleball is the fact that I'm able to play it for the most part. You know, I used to play tennis, and I even tried to play tennis professionally. It was my goal to take it to the highest level I could. Unfortunately, due to injuries and other factors, I couldn't continue pursuing that dream. But then, around the end of 2018, I heard about the sport of pickleball. It's played on a smaller court and is easier on the body. I found it to be something I could physically do, not just casually with friends, but also compete at a high level. That's probably the biggest thing I love about pickleball.

Interviewer: That's great to hear. You also mentioned the importance of diversity in sports. Could you tell us more about that?

Jessie: Yes, absolutely. When it comes to sports like tennis or golf, where it's more individual, there is often a lack of diversity. I'm proud to represent and be one of the few diverse players in these sports. I'm somewhat used to it, coming from tennis, where there isn't much diversity in general. By playing pickleball, I hope to encourage more minorities to pick it up and start playing. I enjoy taking on the responsibility of supporting and being a role model for those who can look up to me. It's a huge responsibility because there's a lot on your shoulders. You always have to try your hardest and represent. I'm up for the challenge, and hopefully, one day there will be more diversity in these sports.

Interviewer: That's commendable. Moving forward, what are your goals for 2023?

Jessie: My goals for 2023 are centered around becoming a better partner and team player. While I always want to improve my individual game, I believe being a good partner and teammate is equally important. I want to find a balance between being serious and intense on the court while also having fun. Another goal is to stay injury-free. As I'm not as young as some of the upcoming players, remaining healthy and able to play the full year is crucial for me.

Interviewer: That sounds like a well-rounded set of goals. Now, can you share something interesting about yourself that people may not know?

Jessie: Well, before all of this began, way back when I was much younger, I was actually a dancer. Even before I started playing tennis at a young age, I was a part of a dance company. We would travel around, compete, and win medals. I did ballet, tap, jazz—pretty much everything. My goal back then was to be like the dancers in Riverdance. So, before my tennis journey started, I had a serious background in dancing, which not many people know.

Interviewer: That's fascinating. Lastly, if someone wants to go pro in pickleball, what advice would you give them?

Jessie: My best advice for someone who wants to go pro in pickleball is to watch videos of the best players and try to learn from them. I did the same when I started, watching matches of top players like Simone Jardim and Lucy Kovalova. I picked aspects from each player that I liked and tried to mimic them. Starting with the basics and mastering them is essential before adding your own style to the game. Also, don't forget to have fun along the way.

Interviewer: Thank you so much for sharing your insights and experiences with us. It was a pleasure talking to you.

Jessie: Thank you for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Age is Just a Number: The Joyce Jones Story | AARP Pickleball Stories |

  The Ageless Athlete: Joyce Jones' Lifelong Love for Badminton and Pickleball Introduction:   At 94 years old, Joyce Jones, a resident ...